Friday, March 3, 2017

Light and Fluffy Cornbread

Light Fluffly cornbread slice blog 1


Growing up we didn't eat a lot of corn bread. It just wasn't something my Sicilian family made. I never really thought about it until I went to a restaurant once and had it as a side. Man, it was delicious.

Fast forward to a few months ago. My husband and I traveled to Massachusetts for a little adventure and we ended up in this little bar and grill. When we walked in we were greeted by a friendly hostess who immediately asked us if we wanted the corn bread starter. No charge, we give cornbread to all our customers. What??? Well who are we to say no. So a few minutes later she brings two little mini loaves of cornbread to the table. We dig in. Oh. My. Word. John and I ate every crumb of those little loaves. It was moist and fluffy and melted in your mouth and ever since that day I've had cornbread on the brain.

I have to bring up the one thing that I know I will be taunted about. I have southern friends. As most of you know, southerns don't put sugar in their cornbread. Well, I'm not southern and we do put sugar in our cornbread. It's just sugar people. I know we can get along and not argue about sugar in cornbread right? So if you are southern and you're reading this shaking your head, I apologize but this Yankee will always put sugar in her cornbread!

This is the best cornbread I've ever made and I've tested quite a few recipes that didn't end up being posted. It's so light and airy. My go-to cornbread recipe from now on.

Light Fluffy Cornbread slice BLOG

Light and Fluffy Cornbread
recipe from Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
PRINTABLE RECIPE
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
1 egg; beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Oven to 400. Stir together all the dry ingredients and make a well in the middle. Pour the milk into a 2 cup measuring cup. Add the oil and eggs and mix with a fork until the egg is broken and the milk and oil start to blend. Pour into well. Mix gently with a rubber spatula. As soon as the ingredients start to come together pour the batter into greased 8x8 pan or pie pan. Bake for 22 - 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

No comments: