Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Homemade Bisquick

Hoem Made bisquick 1

I've been making a lot of mixes over the past 6 months or so. It's all in an effort to eat less processed foods and keep nasty chemicals and ingredients that aren't good for us out of our diet.

I try. I mean that whole heartily. I try to make things from scratch. I try and buy organic. It's not always easy but I'm doing what I can. There are so many products that I no longer buy anymore. It's very evident by my coupon holder. It used to be chuck full of coupons, now, not so much. My shopping list consists of staples that I make into the products I used to buy. It's time consuming I have to admit, but not horribly so, and because I made a commitment to myself to live this way, I don't mind very much at all. I'll spend a Sunday morning making up a few mixes then I'm good for the next few months or more.

One of the products that is no longer in my cupboards is Bisquick. I didn't use it a lot, but I did reach for that box from time to time and now that it's casserole season I ran across quite a few recipes that I wanted to try but didn't want to use the boxed stuff for. Homemade Bisquick to the Rescue!

A little time in the kitchen once a month or so can not only saves you money, it makes you feel better about what you are feeding your family. 4 ingredients, that's all you need to make it yourself!

Homemade Bisquick
recipe from Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
PRINTABLE RECIPE
5 Cups All Purpose Flour
3 Tablespoons Baking Powder
2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Cup Shortening

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. Cut in the shortening. You can use a pastry blender but I just used my fingers to get mixed in really well. Sift all of the flour and store in an airtight container. Use the same as you would use Bisquick in any recipe. You can skip the sifting part, which can be time consuming, but I think it really blends it all together well. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

No comments: