Thursday, February 4, 2016

Lunch Lady Brownies - or as my guys calls them The Best Brownies Ever!

Lunch Lady Brownies2JPG

Hello lovely blog readers!

I'm still getting back in the swing of things here in Rhode Island. I'm in the middle of radiation and doing very well. I am a bit more tired than usual, but over all I'm feeling good and trying to return to life as normal as much as I can.

A few weeks ago we hosted a little get together for the NFL playoffs. My team (The Patriots) lost, but we had a great time with friends and ate some delicious food together.

No get together would be complete without a sweet at the end right? I went old school and looked online for a brownie recipe. I wanted something fudgy and cakey all at the same time with a great frosting too. That's not too much to ask for is it? I'll admit it, when it comes to brownies, I like them all. I haven't met a brownie that I don't like, but I was aiming for one that had that perfect little chew to it and boy did I find it.

Here is a little background on these amazing brownies from Saltbox House:
This brownie recipe is no ordinary recipe. This recipe was first made in a Jr. High School cafeteria in a small town in Idaho. A lunch lady made these brownie so perfect that they were entered in local bake sales and fund raisers. This recipe has been around for more than 50 years and still attracts so many children each year. I was given this recipe by my aunt who worked in the school cafeteria and knew this wonderful women. These brownies are the best of both worlds. They are cake-like with the chewy density of a cookie. They really are a delicious piece of history!

I think I found my new "go-to" brownie recipe! I omitted the nuts this time because my youngest doesn't like them and requested that I leave them out this time, but next time they are going in.

Lunch Lady Brownies

Lunch Lady Brownies
Original recipe from Bonneville Junior High Cafeteria via Saltbox House.
PRINTABLE RECIPE
2 sticks butter
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
4 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

For Frosting – make while the brownies bake!
¼ cup softened butter
¼ cup milk
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
Dash salt
Beat all the ingredients together. Frost brownies while still warm.


Melt the butter in the microwave and pour into a mixing bowl. Add the cocoa and mix until smooth. Add the flour and sugar and mix to combine. Add eggs, vanilla and nuts (if you are using). Mix until just combined. Don’t overmix! Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 baking pan. Batter will be thick.

Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Wait 10 minutes to frost the brownies. You want to frost them when they are warm. Let cool before cutting and serving.

No comments: