Friday, September 26, 2014

Trisha Yearwood's Skillet Apple Pie




I'm totally into my fall geekery mode.

I love this season. LOVE it. I'm all about the pumpkin and the apples. I'm headed out this weekend to pick apples, so I thought I'd post this recipe that doesn't use said apples that I will be picking! Ha! What is wrong with me? I'll tell ya what....I'm crazy for apple pie.

Most of you who have read this blog for any amount of time know I have a pie sickness. I love PIE. This pie does not use fresh apples. It uses canned apple pie filling. Yes, I said it. Canned. Pie. Filling. and it's glorious!

So say you used up all the apples you picked and you really want pie. You have a hankering, a craving for pie. You don't have the time to CUT UP APPLES! You just don't. You want some pie and you want it fast. Your troubles are solved. Let me introduce you to this baby.....

SKILLET APPLE PIE.

It's a thing of beauty isn't it? Yes, you need a cast iron skillet to make this. If you don't already own a cast iron skillet and urge you to purchase one. It's the work horse of my kitchen. A 9 inch cast iron, pre-seasoned skillet like this one will run you under $20.

This pie was so good that I almost didn't get a picture of it with the filling showing. My boys were trying to dig into it again. I had to snatch it up and quickly grab a photo.

I cut the amount of butter and brown sugar that was in the original recipe and I didn't add the cinnamon whipped topping that was in the original recipe either. It didn't need it, but I wouldn't stop you from putting a big ole scoop of vanilla ice cream on this.




Trisha Yearwood’s Skillet Apple Pie
adapted from a Trisha Yearwood recipe
Printable recipe
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 refrigerated rolled pie crusts, such as Pillsbury
One 21-ounce can apple pie filling
2 teaspoons cinnamon sugar
1 tablespoon for melted butter for top.

Preheat the oven to 400.

Melt the 1/2 stick of butter in a 9-inch cast iron skillet. To the melted butter, add the brown sugar and melt them together on medium heat, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat then line the skillet with one of the pie crusts. Pour the apple pie filling over the crust and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the cinnamon sugar. Use the second pie crust to cover the filling. Brush the top with the 1 tablespoon of the melted butter, then evenly sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar on top. Cut vents in the middle of the pie. Bake for 30 - 35  minutes or until golden brown.

No comments: