Monday, March 17, 2014

Roasted Chicken Thighs with Caramelized Shallots



Oh spring come on, I can almost feel you!

We had a couple of days here when the temps reached up into the mid 40's. It was heaven. Just to feel the sun on my face was a joy, but it was short lived. The cold temps crept back in and we had more snow last week, just flurries, but snow none the less. Oh well, that's living in New England.

I caught one heck of a head cold. I was sick for weeks. Before anyone preaches, yes I went to the doctors. I had a little incident a few weeks ago where I actually passed out in the shower. I had been sick all weekend so by Monday morning I had the perfect storm of symptoms that just did me in. My blood sugar was low, I'm sure my blood pressure was low, I wasn't eating right, I probably didn't drink enough either, and my head was completely congested. Combine all that with a steaming hot shower and bam, I was out. That was scary. I didn't get hurt, thankfully, but I did get a note from the doctor to stay home and rest. It was another 3 days on the couch for me. It's been 3 weeks and another trip back to the doctors and I'm just now starting to feel ok. This one threw me for a loop!

The men had quite a few "fend for yourself" suppers, and when I felt well enough to finally get myself back into the kitchen I didn't want to make anything too complicated. These Roasted Chicken Thighs were perfect.

Throw a bunch of ingredients together, let the thighs marinate in them for a few hours then toss them in the oven. How easy is that?

We love chicken thighs in our house. If you're not crazy about them, use whatever piece of chicken you like best.

I actually doubled the amounts from the original recipe and it was the perfect amount of marinade.



Roast Chicken Thighs with Caramelized Shallots
slightly adapted from a recipe at David Lebovitz.com
Printable recipe.
6 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 large shallots, peeled and minced
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 chicken thighs, skin on.

Preheat the oven to 425ºF . In a large baking dish, one which will hold all the chicken pieces in a single layer, mix the olive oil, vinegar, soy sauce, shallots, and some salt and pepper. I refrigerated these for a few hours before I put them in the oven.

Toss the chicken in the mixture, so they’re completely coated with the shallots. Turn the chicken pieces so they are all skin side up.

Roast the chicken for about twenty minutes, until it starts to brown on top. Turn the pieces of chicken over. Scrape any juices and shallots over the chicken that may be clinging to the pan, and bake for another twenty minutes, or until the pieces of chicken are cooked through and the shallots are well-caramelized.

No comments: