Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Roasted Cauliflower - the whole head!



Hey. Hi.

I’m here. I’ve been absent for a bit. I’m sorry about that, but not really. I know that sounds strange, but I really didn’t feel like blogging. I wasn’t making anything interesting to blog about and the month of January really kinda kicked my ass, so yeah, I was away but now I’m back.

I’ve had quite a few health issues. I don’t usually talk about those kind of things here, but it’s no secret to some of you that I’m living with an auto immune disease which can really bring me down some days and it seems like the winter intensified everything and kinda had me curled up into a little ball for the last month.

I’m watching my sugar and my carbs, so be prepared for some different recipes from me. I’m learning to be creative and trying to adapt low sugar, low carbs into delicious recipes.

I’m starting off with a delicious recipe for cauliflower....the whole head of cauliflower! I never heard of roasting the whole head before, but it kinda makes sense? This one is slathered with Greek yogurt and spices. It looks really goopy when you put it in the oven, but as it bakes the yogurt mixture hardens and gets nice and crunchy. So good!

I bought a green cauliflower. I've also seen purple and yellow ones!

Just slice it into wedges to eat. I love it!



Roasted Cauliflower
recipe from Bee Hive Hat

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 head cauliflower
1½ cups plain Greek yogurt
1 lime, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons chile powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400° and lightly grease a small baking sheet with vegetable oil. (I used a piece of parchment). Set aside.

Trim the base of the cauliflower to remove any green leaves and the woody stem.

In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with the lime zest and juice, chile powder, cumin, garlic powder, curry powder, salt and pepper.

Dunk the cauliflower into the bowl and use a brush or your hands to smear the marinade evenly over its surface. I just held it by the base and slathered it on by hand. Excess marinade can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to three days and used with meat, fish or other veggies.)

Place the cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet and roast until the surface is dry and lightly browned, 30 to 40 minutes. The marinade will make a crust on the surface of the cauliflower. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting it into wedges.

No comments: