Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Mushroom Vegetable Barley Soup

Mushroom Barley Veggie soup

It's soup making time again! I can't begin to tell you all how many times a month I make soup.

I'm the master of the mish-mash soup. Mish-mash soup happens a lot. What's mish-mash soup? I'm sure you make it too but just call it something else. It's that soup that you make with everything that's left over in the fridge and freezer, or the little bits of meat or chicken that you have leftover.

I am the queen of the this kind of soup.

I love creating a big pot of goodness from bit and pieces of other meals, the last little bit of frozen veggies in the package, the ham bone left over from a dinner party. It gets my creative juices flowing.

This soup was inspired by the 2 packages of portabella's that I had in the fridge. Behind the portabellas were leeks and in the cupboard was a few packages of pearl barley that I had bought just for soup making. We love barley in soup. If you haven't tried barley in soup, you are missing out. It's deliciously nutty!

I don't usually write down my soup recipes because, well, normally there isn't one. I had a few friends ask for this before it was finished so I actually wrote it down as I went along.

This is a rare thing.....a written down mish-mash soup. Enjoy!

Mushroom, Veggie and Barely Soup
recipe from Lisa @ The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
1 large leek thinly sliced, white & light green parts only
16 oz portabella mushroom, sliced (2 pkgs)
3 tablespoons of olive oil
3 cloves chopped garlic
12 cups very hot water
3 containers of Knorrs Homestyle Beef Stock * see note
1 cup frozen peas and carrots (1/2 16oz bag)
1 cup pearl barley
1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
seasoning of your choice

Add the olive oil and leeks to a heavy bottomed pot on medium heat. While the leeks are sauteeing, slice the mushrooms and add them into the pot. I throw in a few sprigs of thyme at this point also. Cover and let cook until mushrooms are soft. There will be liquid at the bottom. Leave it in the pot, it's just more broth for your soup!

Once your mushrooms are softened, add in the water and 3 containers of the Knorrs beef stock. Stir to dissolve.

Add in any seasonings you like now too. I use some parsley, Italian seasoning blend and some salt and pepper. Stir in your barley and let it come to a boil, simmer for 1 hour or until the barley is cooked. I throw a half a bag of peas & carrots and the heavy cream in during the last 15 minutes of cooking. The cream is optional but my guys like creamy soup so I add it in.

* Note - I have fallen in love with Knorrs Homestyle Stocks. When you can't make your own, this is the next best thing. The flavor is so good! If you haven't tried them, I highly recommend them!

Mushroom Barley Veggie soup 1 rib

3 comments:

StephenC said...

I'm with you, Lisa. No recipe, no ingredient amounts, no plan except for "what's in the fridge and/or the cupboard?" If you're the queen, then I'm the king. (Shall we go to the prom together?)

Rian said...

It looks wonderful. However, since I'm allergic to mushrooms, I would have to leave these out.

I tend to use my 'left-over' veggies mixed with rice... and no recipe either. Just saute onions, garlic, green pepper and add cooked rice, whatever veggies are around (sometimes brocolli and corn) and a handful of grated cheese and season it up with lots of fresh ground pepper! I've even cracked an egg into this on occasion - but this makes it more like a frittata.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Stephen I think we shall! King & Queen Mish-Mash!