Friday, February 3, 2012

Breaded Cauliflower

Breaded Cauliflower

There are certain recipes that you make that automatically make someone jump into your brain.

You know what I’m talking about. Whenever I make a Devil Dog cake my Pa instantly springs into my mind. When I see Lorna Doone cookies, I see my Papa and Nana having tea at their little kitchen table by the window. When I make breaded cauliflower….I see my Mom standing over a pan of hot oil frying these cauliflower pieces.

Now let give you an example of how good these are. My children, who would not normally touch a piece of cauliflower with a 100 foot pole (yeah a 10 foot pole would not be long enough) eat this. My pickiest eater Evan eats these. Jesse loves them.
 
I know you can usually bread and fry most stuff and get people to eat it, but cauliflower is one of those veggies with a lot of haters.

This recipe makes lovers out of the haters….trust me on this one.

Breaded Cauliflower
recipe from Lisa@ The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
1 large head cauliflower
Seasoned breadcrumbs
3 eggs
Vegetable oil for frying.

Break the head of cauliflower up into flowerets. Place in a large pot and fill with about 2 inches of water. Cover and heat until boiling. As soon as the water boils, turn off the heat. Let the sit for 5 minutes and then check with a sharp knife. The knife should slide in, but with some resistance. You don’t want mushy cauliflower. If it’s not cooked enough, place the lid back on and check again in 5 minutes intervals. Mine were done in about 15 minutes. Drain the water and place cooked cauliflower in the fridge for an hour or so.

Place the seasoned breadcrumbs in a bowl. Mix the eggs in another bowl. Dip each piece of cauliflower in egg, then in the breadcrumbs. Place back in the fridge until you are ready to fry.

Heat about an inch of vegetable oil in frying pan. Fry the cauliflower until golden on all sides. You will have to turn them a few times while they are frying. Place on a paper towel lined plate to cool. You can re-heat these by placing them in a 400 degree oven for about 10 - 15 minutes. Don't nuke them...not good eats.

Breaded Cauliflower 2

9 comments:

Becki's Whole Life said...

My girls recently decided that they like cauliflower so we have been on a kick at my house. This looks amazing. Might be a good snack for Sunday!

Unknown said...

that looks so good! i love cauliflower, wonder if the kids would eat it?

beti said...

they look really crunchy and perfect! I will now eat more vegetables

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Pinned 'em.

I bet they would be great with a cheese dipping sauce...or ranch...or blue cheese...or...

NEED. SOME. NOW!

Foodiewife said...

Fortunately. we LOVE cauliflower. I don't fry food very often, but when I get the craving, I can see that these would be good. Might be fun to add zucchini in the mix, too!

Dan said...

second time's a charm! breaking them down to bite sized bits and adding a dash of cayenne to the breadcrumbs did the trick on kicking up the flavor a notch too.

Anonymous said...

I'll eat breaded and deep fried anything. There is something about the crunch and homemade feel of fried stuff that always gets to me.

Kelli K. said...

Looks and sounds delicious. Has anyone tried drizzling them with oil and baking them in the oven instead of frying?

Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche said...

This looks amazing! I'm new to your blog but have already found so many recipes I'd like to try, thanks so much! Following you now! :)