Friday, July 9, 2010

Dark Chocolate Espresso Cookies

Dark Choc Espresso Cookies

I'm back.

Vacation was wonderful but would have been even more wonderful if my poor in-laws didn't have to suffer through this miserable heat wave we had while they were here. In fact, it's still here and shows no signs of letting up soon. The humidity is killin' us.

A few other things happened over the course of the week too. Let's see there was the unplanned dentist visit for a toothache I had for 3 day over the 4th holiday. Emergency root canal - Yipee!!! Leave it to me to wait till I'm on vacation to need a dentist. I have to say, I always conveniently wait till I have personal time off before I get sick. Oh I remember Christmas of '08 that was spent in the emergency room well. It's just a little quirk of mine to get ill when I'm on vacation.

I wasn't the only one not feeling well, our dog Moose was extremely lethargic. We thought his back was acting up again. Fast forward 2 days later (today) and he's in such bad shape that we call the Vet where John works to have him refer us to a family vet to help my poor baby. Luckily we got right in. I really liked the new vet. He even kissed Moose on the forehead (a nice sign in my book). Turns out Moose has an infection somewhere in his body, hence the laying around and feeling crappy mode. He got a shot in the butt, some meds to take home and lots of blood work and tests to figure out where the infection is coming from. Hopefully we will know by tomorrow or Monday the latest. Right now he's conked out on the floor. I'm hoping the meds are kicking in so he can have a restful night.

So anyway....my pockets are empty after the dentist and vet visit, but I'm hey, it's only money right? Right. I keep telling myself that.

Ok on to the cookies. I actually made these before the great heat wave of 2010 hit. I'm sorry but I have only turned on the oven when absolutely necessary this past week. Cold suppers....you bet.

Ok, ok cookies....

Let’s pretend there’s this brownie and he meets up with this delectable chocolate cookie and they merge together just before someone throws some chocolate chips and espresso into the mix.

Some nice lady pops them into the oven and lets them bake just until the chips start to melt and the center is still moist and gooey.

What's born out of this collective merger is one scrumptious cookie bursting with espresso flavor and chocolate. These “cookies” are really a cross between a brownie and a cookie. The best of both worlds.

I made this batch for a small dinner party at my house and by nightfall there were only 2 lonely cookies left on the plate.

Be sure not to over bake these. You want them almost gooey in the middle.

Dark Chocolate Espresso Cookies
3 tablespoons of water
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 box Dark Chocolate Premium Brownie Mix (I used Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge, 19.8oz)
1 egg
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 ½ cups dark chocolate pieces, semi-sweet chocolate pieces and/or white chocolate pieces (combined into the 1-½ cups. In other words, whatever you are using, make sure it 1 ½ of it).

Oven to 350.

Lightly grease a baking sheet or line a baking sheet with parchment.

In a small bowl combine the water and espresso powder, stirring until it’s dissolved. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl combine the brownie mix, egg, oil, cinnamon and the espresso mixture. Beat with the electric mixer on low speed until combined, scraping sides.

Stir in the chocolate pieces by hand, using a spatula or wooden spoon. Drop the dough by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet.

I baked mine for 10 minutes exactly or until edges are just set. (Center may appear doughy). DO NOT OVER BAKE! Cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes.

Dark Choc Espresso Cookies CU1

9 comments:

Amy said...

I've never been able to figure out whether it's better to be sick during the week (and miss work) or during the weekend (and not miss work.) Either way, root canal? No thanks. I would eat about 20 of these cookies to make myself feel better.

sweetlife said...

sorry about yout toothe mergency, how painful...love these cookies..perfect for a afternoon treat

sweetlife

Parita said...

What a powerful combo!! Choco + coffee..fantastic, these cookies look divine!

Monica H said...

They're brookies! I love you for throwing in some cinnamon in there too, yum!

Hope Moose is okay. poor baby.

Monica H said...

How many does this make?

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Monica I think I got over 2 dozen easy. Brookies, I love it.

MrOrph said...

i'm with ya on the "why now?" feeling for maladies on vacation!

hope your pooch feels better. it always bothers me when one of my lil guys is not feeling well. they just kinda drag around. it's sad.

those cookies are awesome! i think i'll have mine with some ice cream please.

Inspiration CAN be found EVERYWHERE said...

I like Monica's name - Brookies!
And they look really really good. I will have to make these when I get back from my sister's ... unless of course I take the recipe with me and have the kids help make a batch there.

Thanks for sharing

Monica said...

I really enjoy reading your blog, I just gave you an award here http://lifeissooogood.blogspot.com/2010/07/yay-for-me_13.html