Friday, May 14, 2010

Amy Sedaris' Vanilla Cupcakes

AS Vanilla Cupcakes ECU

See those luscious looking cupcakes?

See that adorable bird's nest? Cute isn't it? Oh it's real too.

I collect them, once the birds are all done with them that is.

Now the birds around here just got started on their nest building, so I didn't get that nest this early in May.

Nope.

I have a confession.

Those lovely cupcakes that you see. That green grass in the background....

AS Cupcakes CU

Those pictures were taken last summer.

August of 2009.

Yup, those cupcakes, long, long gone. Eaten and forgotten.

Not because they weren't good. I remember, they were good, but this post got hidden in the bowels of my very long list of posts I have yet to publish.

I have another confession to make.

At the time I made these, I had no idea who Amy Sedaris was. I still kinda don't.

What I do remember is that Amy makes a mean cupcake. I also distinctly remember sitting in my kitchen topping these with my killer icing.

Yes, that icing is awesome. I could eat it straight outta the bowl with a very big spoon.

So even though I don't remember what occasion I made these for (not that I need an excuse or occasion to make cupcakes), even though I still have no idea who Miss Sedaris is (sorry Amy), I do remember that these were happily eaten by my gang and the endless procession of teenagers that pass through the house.

Amy Sedaris' Vanilla Cupcakes
1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter
1 ¾ cups of sugar
Beat well, then add:
Add 2 large eggs
2 Teaspoons of pure vanilla
½ teaspoon of salt
2 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
2 ½ cups of flour
1 ¼ cups of milk

Beat well, fill cups, and bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes. You should get 24. I 18, so don't worry if you don't get 24 either.


AS Cupcakes group1

Lisa's Chocolate Mocha Icing:
1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar
½ cup Dutch processed cocoa
3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee

Whisk together the sugar and cocoa. Add coffee and whisk until smooth.

Spread over cooled cupcakes.

This icing hardens up fast, so make sure your cupcakes are cooled and ready when you make it.

7 comments:

June said...

Maybe all you need to know about Amy is that she makes a great cupcake! (But she's the sister of the funniest guy on earth, and I think she's pretty funny herself.) Amy aside though, I love you and whatever cupcake you're baking up!

Love from all your friends in Maine...

Monica H said...

Just wanted to let you know I found you through Debby's A Feast For The Eyes. I enjoyed scrolling through your archives and even bookmarking a few recipes.

I just wrote a post of all the recipes sitting in my archives that I forgot about. ha ha!

And I've made this cake- it is so good and so versatile. I made mine into rainbow cupcakes with vanilla bean cream cheese frosting- yum!

maranaomi said...

yum! the only thing that sounds better than a sentence with the word cupcake in it, is a sentence with amy sedaris AND cupcakes in it :)

Raposa said...

These look great! I'm going to have to try them. If you want to know who Amy Sedaris is, read "Naked" by her brother David Sedaris. I laughed my butt off for the entire book.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a clue who she is either, but this recipe is killer! Glad you posted it :)

the southern hostess said...

I love Amy Sedaris. She's totally wacky and hilarious. These cupcakes look so good!

Anonymous said...

I made these cupcakes and though they tasted delicious, the cupcakes fell apart instantly. As soon as I attempted to take them out of the tins the cupcakes fell apart :(