Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Oat Nanner Clusters

Oat Nanner Cluster CU in bag

I found a great blog called
Sprouted Kitchen. If you want to see some of the most beautiful food photography I’ve come across on the web, you should check out her site. If you want to see even more breathtaking wedding photography, done by the guy who takes all the breathtaking food photos on Sprouted Kitchen, click here: Hugh Forte Photography. He is amazing. I sent him a comment and told him “you make me want to get married all over again so you could come take our pictures”.

Sara has lots of great, healthy recipes on her blog. I’ve already got of list of the things I want to make. I started off with something sweet, huh, imagine that, me making something sweet. Wonders will never cease!

Saras recipe was called Oat’Nana Pucks. I changed it to Oat & Nanner Clusters, cause well honestly; my creation came out looking more like a cluster than a puck. No matter the shape, they were no less than delicious.

Oat Nanner Clusters LS

Oat & Nanner Clusters
From Sprouted Kitchen – This recipe contains no eggs, sugar (almost – see coconut note) or butter, but still tastes great!
Printable recipe
3 well ripened bananas
2 tablespoons good vanilla extract
¼ cup coconut oil (olive oil will work fine)
2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup wheat bran
2/3 cup finely chopped almonds
½ cup unsweetened coconut (I never have unsweetened on hand, I used sweetened)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons baking powder
¼ cup semisweet chips or carob chips

Oven to 350. Mush the bananas with a fork. Mix the wet ingredients together (bananas, vanilla and oil). In another bowl mix the remaining dry ingredients. Add the dry to the wet and gently mix. Fold in the chips. The dough will be loose. Just really squish it in your hands to ball it up.

On a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat, make mini balls, then give them a gentle smush to flatten them out. They really don’t change space while baking so spacing 1” in between each is fine.

Bake for about 14 minutes or until firm. Do not undercook or they will crumble.

Hoard (that was Sara’s comment, lol)

I substituted wheat germ for the wheat bran, cause that’s what I had on hand. I also used sweetened coconut because again, there is no unsweetened coconut to be found in this house. I’m sure my version came out a tad bit sweeter than Saras, but that’s ok, cause that’s what taking a recipe and tweaking it and making it your own is all about.

I loved these. They were almost like having a chewy bite of granola all rolled up into a sweet little package. I took these little clusters into work and they were happily gobbled up in a flash. My co-workers love me.

15 comments:

Parita said...

Wow these look awesome! guilt free goodness!

Doreen Frost said...

Lisa..these look fantastic and I know the kids will LOVE them..thank you...I will be making these to bring up to them for family weekend.

Have a wonderful day
:)Doreen

GarlicBOSS said...

I'll be making these right away...thanks

Unknown said...

These are fantastic, I am totally bookmarking this. Just found your blog from following a link on foodgawker, I think your site is absolutely gorgeous!

Jennifer said...

Oh wow these are wonderful, so healthy and easily portable as a snack or quick breakfast! I cant wait to try!

gardenmama said...

yum! these look and sound great! thank you for the recipe : )

Unknown said...

Okay those LOOOK and SOUND delish! I must make these
shhh dont tell anyone but i just licked my screen
;-)

Deeba PAB said...

I love the look of these cookies/clusters. Wow. You've got great pictures too! Lovely

Sprouted Kitchen said...

yours look AMAZING! you're right, the shape doesnt matter ;) thanks for the plug, i just twittered your post too! Take care, thanks again ~

June said...

Oh, YUM! My two are big into making their own snacks right now. And this will tickle them pink. I cannot wait to try them. THANK YOU, Lisa! I love the treats you scout out.

Karine said...

These look ssssooo delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Gala said...

these do sound great!

Lori Robeau said...

Thanks for all the great recipes and photos! Had 3 over-ripe banana's just waiting for this recipe. They turned out great(with slight variations of course)! My husband loves them!

amycaseycooks said...

Making today! :)

Jenn G said...

Mmmmmm....I just made these and they are yummy! I love that they don't have any sugar.